Shopping Tips in Turkey
Shopping in Turkey is both entertaining and satisfying. You gain in terms of experience along with possessing some of the most prized items in the world.
Tips For Shopping in Turkey
• Shopping in Turkey is best done in the morning when the salesmen have more time. Try to be one of the first customers because Turkish shopkeepers believe that the first customer is sent by their Gods and pleasing him or her brings good luck throughout the day. That’s why you can buy the items with beter price.
• Bargaining is a skill you must master for shopping in Turkey. Bargaining for everything except food is quite customary in Turkey. Most of the shopkeepers know you may bargain. If you interest something, ask the shopkeepers for a discount, be sure they will do it.
• Shopkeepers in Turkey are largely honest and will not try to pass off an imitation as the original, but it is always good to ask for a certificate of guarantee for expensive items like carpets or jewelry.
• Making the payment, you should know the rate of exchange that applies. Ask for a calculator and work out the amount in your own currency.
• When buying silver or gold, be sure to look for the maker's hallmark stamped into an inconspicuous part of the piece, certifying that it is genuine.
• Most of the credit cards like VISA, Mastercard, Amex and Dinners Club and traveler's checks are accepted in almost all the shops. However, make sure to ask before you purchase a product or service. You will get a lower price on most of the goods when paid by cash for two reasons: 1. Shops pay 7 % commission on credit card sales to banks 2. Tax
• In the tourist regions most prices are advirtesed in Euro and US Dollars. But change offices are also widely avaible to change your money. The rates of currency are lower than in the hotels and banks. So a change Office would be in your favour.
Bargaining in Turkey
What Can Be Bought in Turkey?
When purchasing carpets, jewelry or leather products, it is advisable to consult your guide or do your shopping at a reputable store rather than in the street from vendors.
CarpetYour trip to Turkey is incomplete if you do not come home with a Turkish carpet as a keepsake. Most of the tourists coming to Turkey return to their homes with carpets because Turkey is a treasure-house of carpets. Turkish carpets are either knotted or flat woven. It is a form of craft prevalent in Turkey since ancient times. Originally woven as utility items, they soon became known for their beauty and durability. A Turkish carpet is a rare piece of art that will decorate your house as well as bring a slice of Anatolian tradition into your drawing room. Today they are the most popular shopping item for foreigners. It is accepted that handmade Turkish carpets are the strongest carpets in world and can be used generations to generations. Also Turkey is one of the most famous carpet weaving centers in the world. Therefore, Turkey is a great place to go if you are shopping for carpets to decorate your home abroad or your second home in Turkey.
Since a carpet is more of a work of art, the deeper meanings of each design cannot be neglected. A carpet can be likened to a poem; neither can tolerate any extra element which does not contribute to its wholeness and value. Therefore, just like in a poem, each pattern of a carpet is chosen for its beauty and motifs are carefully arranged to form rhymes.
Turkish carpets carry a wide range of symbols. For many centuries, Anatolian women have been expressing their wishes, fears, interests, fidelity and love through the artistic medium of carpets. Even so, there are typical repeated motifs changing from region to region; geometric designs, tree of life, the central medallion design, the prayer niches in prayer rugs, etc.
LeatherTurkey sells lots of great leather apparel, including suede garments. Turkish cuisine is based on lamb and mutton, which means there are lots of soft skins from which to make fine leather clothing and accessories.
In fact, some of the finest leather items manufactured in Turkey often find their way to shops in Italy. Premium grade leather is selected. This is then designed by fine craftsmanship into beautiful leather goods that speak of style and elegance.Among these products that people demand are leather jackets, shoes and belts, all produced in Turkey using traditional methods. If you want to go shopping for a leather in Turkey then a leather wallet or purse is always a good option for a souvenir. Tourists like shopping for leather products in Turkey because it is known that quality and workmanship of leather products are of a high standart.
When purchasing leather goods, one should be aware of the very wide range of products; different animal skins, baby lamb, lamb, suede, nubuk, pelluria, etc. and their differing qualities and prices.
Jewellery and SilverAn exquisite piece of gold and silver jewelry, with or without stone setting, is something you should look for. Surprisingly, although the prices of gold and silver are fixed internationally, jewelry items in Turkey are cheaper than in other places. This is due to the low labor cost. A wide variety in design is available to meet the demands of various tastes. The craftsmanship is usually good, but you must inspect each piece to pick the best.
It is also possible to design your own jewellery and have it handmade for you with a reasonable price in most big jewellery centers located everyside of Turkey. If you should be short in time, these centers can send your customized jewellery with insurance to your home address abroad.